RE: Star Wars/Wells Gardner 6100 Problem

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Feb 03 1999 - 15:10:40 EST

This is what I wrote in the manual:

"(It's technically 'safer' to switch with the power off anyway, since
it's less likely to damage your monitor if the CPU doesn't reset
properly. Your Mileage May Vary. If in doubt, turn the game off before
switching.)"

I had one monitor blow the low-voltage section by switching on the fly
when the Vector Generator crashed (back at the end of 1996). Since then
I've done all sorts of horrible things to the boards and monitor and
never had a problem again. To be safe I'd "officially" say turn it off
first, then switch. Unofficially there's *lots* of people switching on
the fly and I've never heard of another monitor die with switching as a
likely culprit.

There's always a possibility that Dennis' monitor was just going to do
it's Rutger Hauer/Blade Runner impression that day anyway ("Time... to
die...") and it would have konked out when he turned the power off and
on again too...

-Clay