The Resurrection of Vertigo

From: Fish, David <dfish_at_bev.etn.com>
Date: Fri Feb 05 1999 - 08:48:15 EST

  A couple of days ago, while discussing Fluke pod schematics, Al Kossow
dropped a hint that he'd be willing to lend he his two Exidy Vertigo
board sets so that I could take a crack at getting them to work. He
presently has no spare time to work on these himself, so naturally, I
jumped on this offer like a starving wolf on a spring lamb.

  I'm sending this e-mail out to the group for two reasons; first, to make
any interested parties aware of the project, and second, to set up a means
of traceability and accountability for any items which will be exchanged
between Al and myself. The project kicked-off when Al forwarded me copies
of the EPROM images.

  OK, now that we've got that part out of the way... What it boils down
to is this, Al going to lend me his two Vertigo board sets so that I can
try to get one or both operational. Once that's done I'll get some screen
shots then send the boards back to Al. The tough part is that there are
no schematics available, no pinouts available and no verified ROM images
available. There doesn't seem to be much information about this game
other than a couple of pictures from Dangerous Dan, and these look to be
pictures of a prototype rather than the unit shown in the service manual.
There's no guarantee that the one set of EPROMs hasn't dropped a few bits.
But... I love a good challenge.

  I gave Al my word that I'd start this project as soon as I receive the
boards. While no deadline for finishing was set I'm guessing that it's going
to take a minimum of two months of weekends and after-work. We'll see just
how patient Al really is.

  BTW, If anyone has copies of the schematics for either Exidy Vertigo or
Exidy Top Gunner please let Al or me know. Hell, if anyone knows ANYTHING
about either of these games let us know.

David Fish | "We want...Information.
INFORMATION
Melrose, MA USA | You won't get it!
   fishd@tiac.com | By hook or by crook we will"