Re: Tempest Spinner Question

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 13:28:05 EST

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:19:35 -0800 (PST), "Miranda K. Collins"
<miranda@angel.com> wrote:

>Really? Ok, that makes more sense. That must be why it sounds like a
>saw! A saw blade with lots of little holes in it cutting through a
>plastic optical sensor! :) So once again I ask...
>
>Where are the bearings???

Hi Miranda,

There are no bearings in Tempest encoders, just those telflon bushings which are
probably fine.

The best way to fix it is to take apart the spinner and wipe off the years of
grit built up grit, then use some teflon grease to lubricate it. The grease can
be bought at radio shack -- it comes in a silver squeeze tube.

The 2nd best way to fix it would be to clean it the best you can without taking
it apart and then squeeze some teflon grease into it.

The spinning too fast thing is just a matter of how fast the computer can read
the spinner. When it starts moving to fast it starts to appear to the computer
like it's standing still, or even moving backwards. Like wagon wheels in old
western movies. There's nothing you can really do about it, beside not spinning
it so fast.

-Zonn