new battlezone owner

From: <oren.m.williams_at_exgate.tek.com>
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 19:28:38 EST

Hi everybody,

I've been on this list about a month. I followed RGVAC for about three
months. So I'm a bit of a newbie, but have made an effort to learn from
afar.

I recently had a beautiful Battlezone delivered by Dennis D. It has two
problems. The right controller has lost its spring. I've read about this
and think I understand, basically, how to fix it.

The other problem is the monitor. I'm an EE, so understand the basics of
the electrolytic cap problems common to these monitors. I have no
experience working on them, however. My game works perfectly, until it's
been on a while. After a few games, the display balloons until the score
and radar are no longer visible and the tank field is bigger.

I've not played/experimented with it much, but the other night I let my room
drop to a much lower temperature and was able to play several games without
the monitor misfiring. Seems temperature related. This could point to the
electrolytic caps, no? I'm hoping a cap kit will get me running, but don't
know much about the display driver circuits. I've read a lot of the
Battlezone info on Al Warner's page.

I'm hoping for some tips/reference direction. Thanks.

oren from Portland OR
ps I'm very proud of this machine. If you want to see a picture, I'll send
one. I got it for $225!! I'm in about $400 considering storage and
shipping.