RE: new battlezone owner

From: <oren.m.williams_at_exgate.tek.com>
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 21:28:45 EST

[...]
> Seems temperature related. This could point to the
> electrolytic caps, no? I'm hoping a cap kit will get me running, but
> don't
> know much about the display driver circuits.

I'd give it 70-30 on the HV diode myself vs. caps, but there's plenty of
possibilties in those old monitors... ;-)

Would one of these other 30 % possibilities be carbon traces, which are
characteristic of these monitors, causing the same kind of high voltage
losses seen in the HV diode?

I was asking an engineer here at Tektronix about this problem and he didn't
understand how my experts could be so sure that it was a diode. I explained
that none of you were "sure," but that experience had shown bloom relating
to losses in the HV diode when it is aged.

Anyone care to expand on this, or even know what this guy is talking about?

oren