Re: Sega XY - free play

From: TomW <twisnion_at_enteract.com>
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 15:33:31 EST

Mark, et-all
   Several years ago, I hit the net up with the Freeplay Adapter, I gave a
few pointers to a guy on the net (I think he was in college) and he built up
a PIC chip that could simulate a coin drop (drop speed adjustable) by
pressing the start button. Basically, you push player one, it it droped one
coin and then pushed the actual player 1 button, same for player 2, if the
user pushed it, it simulated 2 coins and then hit player 2 button. This
worked great, I put one on my mspac and now I have the pretty attract
screens instead of FREE PLAY static on the screen. We were going to make a
change to make it work on the sega stuff as well, but the net base didn't
seem to understand why it was needed and the whole project died. Yea, I
guess its simpler to drill a hole in the coin door and put a button in it,
or mount one behind the reject button. But when people come over to play
games that dont know these tricks, you have to teach them... I found them
just pressing player 1/2 to begin so I thougnt it would have been a hit...
Maybe it was just marketed bad... Hit dejanews for FREE PLAY ADAPTER, I
think it will come up... Beauty of it, no code changes necessary... works
for any game...

TomW

>Hi all,
>
>I don't like having ugly credit switches mounted on my dedicated games
(call me
>a purist, if you will). Sure, I can hide them, but when I have my gaming
>parties, I want the games to be "user-friendly", and not have to explain
how to
>credit each game. Usually setting games to free play is enough, but Sega
XY