Sega XY - free play

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 12:38:39 EST

Hi all,

I don't like having ugly credit switches mounted on my dedicated games (call me
a purist, if you will). Sure, I can hide them, but when I have my gaming
parties, I want the games to be "user-friendly", and not have to explain how to
credit each game. Usually setting games to free play is enough, but Sega XY
stuff doesn't HAVE a nice free-play option.

Worse than that is explaining to people that on my Eliminator 4-player, "You
have to press the coin eject button, but only for a 1/2 second", and then
watching them struggle at getting the timing just right.

Anyway, I'd like to simply all this.

How hard would it be to modify the code for Tac/Scan, Space Fury, Zektor and
Star Trek such that you could make "home version" of the EPROMs which always
had 2 credits no matter what you did? I think it would be as simple as
initializing the credits to 2 instead of 0, and skipping the decrement credits
part of the code. Of course, self test would need to be modified to recognize
this, and we could put a nice little "H" in the lower left of the initial
screen which indicates ROM version during test mode. :-)

Eliminator 4-player is a different story, since the game needs to know which
SIDE wants to play, so modifying that would mean you would have to modify the
"credit timing" switch just so it would be easier to credit.

So anybody out there willing to take on this project? I could offer a "prize"
of some sort for the person who accomplishes this.

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL