Re: Sega XY - free play

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 16:00:24 EST

On Feb 15, 2:33pm, TomW wrote:
> Subject: Re: Sega XY - free play
> Mark, et-all
> Several years ago, I hit the net up with the Freeplay Adapter, I gave a
> few pointers to a guy on the net (I think he was in college) and he built up
> a PIC chip that could simulate a coin drop (drop speed adjustable) by
> pressing the start button. Basically, you push player one, it it droped one
> coin and then pushed the actual player 1 button, same for player 2, if the
> user pushed it, it simulated 2 coins and then hit player 2 button.

This sounds like the "free play" board would need to be wired to the coin
switches for player 1 and player 2, along with the start player 1, start player
2, and coin lines of the game harness. Sounds like modifying the wiring
harness...

> This
> worked great, I put one on my mspac and now I have the pretty attract
> screens instead of FREE PLAY static on the screen. We were going to make a
> change to make it work on the sega stuff as well, but the net base didn't
> seem to understand why it was needed and the whole project died. Yea, I
> guess its simpler to drill a hole in the coin door and put a button in it,
> or mount one behind the reject button. But when people come over to play
> games that dont know these tricks, you have to teach them... I found them
> just pressing player 1/2 to begin so I thougnt it would have been a hit...

I agree; I like my games to be more "user-friendly". People are less likely to
play the games which they can't figure out how to credit :-)

> Maybe it was just marketed bad... Hit dejanews for FREE PLAY ADAPTER, I
> think it will come up... Beauty of it, no code changes necessary... works
> for any game...

You're solution is a great overall solution (how I would have loved to have one
of these kits for my roommates Rampage), but for the case of just a Sega XY
solution, I would rather swap 1 or 2 EPROMS than mess with the cabinet wiring
(although the 4-player Eliminator will need it's harness modified regardless of
solution)

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL