Re: Rare vector finds web page

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 17:34:46 EST

Perhaps this is sort of in line .. Empire Strikes Back had been quite rare,
though obviously it had not dissapeared. If it weren't for Cliff Kotch et. al.
and then Clay for manufacturing kits, most of us would not have ESB available for
play in our collections. I think ESB would have remained on the rare and obscure
list had it not been for these guys.

I got lucky with ESB. I ordered a Star Wars board, and this Star Wars look alike
board arrived instead. "What's this little sattelite board doing hanging on the
CPU board? What revision of Star Wars is this? It sure doesn't match any of the
other Star Wars boards I own." A quick email to Doug Jefferys concluded that it
was indeed an Empire Strikes Back, supposedly 1 of only 500 in existence. Some
of you may have heard my cry from Ithaca, New York, when Doug confirmed that the
numbers on the mathbox proms were in fact for an ESB. This board had the proms
and the sattelite board, but still had the original eproms and none of the rework
done to the traces. No wonder it ended up in the guys scrap bin .. I guess it
helps to actually read those conversion instructions. :-) Thanks for the ESB
images and conversion document, Doug!

Ok, no more rambling..