RE: WG6100 Question - Ongoing

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 19:21:43 EST

> Between the transistor and the metal monitor panel, there is now a
> thin
> layer of heat sinc goo and the thin piece of plastic. What is keeping
> the
> screws that connect the transistor to the wires on the other side from
> shorting on the metal monitor panel, or does it matter??

The Plastic is actually Mica -- used as a high-temperature insulator
between the TO-3 case and the monitor chassis.

> Some thin plastic bushings came with the new transistors, should they
> be
> used, or does the transistor NEED to ground (via the screws) on the
> metal
> monitor panel?

If I recall correctly, the screws actually touch the TO-3 case (which is
insulated from the chassis by that mica insulator) and then screw into
the insulated TO-3 socket. So, no-- the screws shouldn't give a path of
conduction to the chassis. If your TO-3 sockets are in good shape you
probably don't need the nylon bushings, but double check that the TO-3
cases don't ohm out to zero against the chassis. (Probably not a bad
idea to replace the Mica insulators-- and use plenty of heat sink
compound...)

-Clay