Re: MM2114N RAM Replacement

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 11:00:33 EST

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> Screen went blank. Put into self test, 2 beeps. Check manual -- 2 beeps
> means RAM F2 failure, which is listed as a 2114. Check the chip, it's a
> MM2114N.
>
> Mouser carries the NTE2114 -- for $12.

        True to form for NTE parts......I like to exhaust all other
options before considering them.

> Jameco lists a 2114N for $1.29 - 1k x 4, 450ns . They also list a 2114N-2
> 200ns version. Obviously I prefer either of these options.
>
> I recall some timing problems with replacement chips being posted a while
> back, so I wanted to check if anyone had experience replacing this
> particular RAM, could recomend using the faster chip to avoid such problems,
> or any other suggestions of things to check at the same time.

        I've not had the timing problems that others have had, although
those timing problems make sense to me. 2114s are a dime-a-dozen by me
(actually less -- I've been getting tubes of them for like $1.00) so I
just grab a tube without thinking. If you are paranoid about this, go
with the slower (450ns) versions, because those are most likely what was
originally used.

        Check around at your local electronics store(s). All three of
mine can beat even the Jameco prices you have, and I'd bet yours would
too.

Joe