Help finding parts

From: jeff hendrix <jhendrix_at_quark.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 11:40:53 EST

This is not a vector question, but this group knows where to find "hard to
find" parts.
I'm trying to repair a viewsonic monitor that has a bad drive transistor.
The transistor has the number "C3956" on it and over the left leg it has the
letter "E" and over the right leg it has "3E"
(which means the middle leg is the 2nd emitter? ;-))
There is no other marks on the entire device. I've searched several of the
obsolete parts houses and none of them have anything that even comes close
to matching that number.
Any body have any suggestions where else I could look? or what other part
might be able to replace it?

thanks
-jeff