Centipede Working -- Thanks !

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu Apr 01 1999 - 22:27:40 EST

Chips came from BG Micro today, Centipede is working, and my wife is happily
playing in the basement. Thanks to all who gave input.

I would like to ask now though if anyone has tips of desoldering chips from
these old boards, for the next project.

My tools consist of a 15/30W pencil and desoldering braid. I suckeverything
off the bottom, turn the board over, suck everything from the top. Repeat
both sides, and usually the chip pops right out. That is-- usually it does.
I can't seem to do these 80's Atari boards without destroying at least one
trace.

This one I only damamged one pin -- and damned if I could see it. After
soldering in the socket (and finding the board didn't work), pin by pin
check with a tester showed one as no connection. Reheating and dribbling
solder down the hole did no good, so I grudgingly resorted to a jumper wire.

I almost feel silly asking for soldering hints, as I've been doing this
since I was about 8, but I'm figuring part of the problem is the age of the
boards. Is there a trick to doing this (other than being more carefull ) ?

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/