RE: Centipede Working -- Thanks !

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 12:11:38 EST

> My tools consist of a 15/30W pencil and desoldering braid. I
> suckeverything
> off the bottom, turn the board over, suck everything from the top.
> Repeat
> both sides, and usually the chip pops right out. That is-- usually it
> does.
> I can't seem to do these 80's Atari boards without destroying at least
> one
> trace.

Those older Atari boards are pretty tough. Even with the snazzy rework
stations here at work I manage to lift a trace once in a while...

A few things can help:

As tempting as it may be to "turn it up", keep your soldering iron
temperature low. Too much heat will de-laminate those old traces fast.
(Obviously a soldering station with a temperature control is very
helpful here.)

Even with a solder pump or desoldering station it's handy to use a
really fine desoldering braid after clearing the holes-- the thing that
usually gets me is a *little* dab of solder on the inside-top side of
the board. You pry on the chip and up lifts that trace... The Radio
Shack type solder-wick isn't really up to snuff for this-- you want a
fine mesh and thin braid.

Since the boards don't have solder-mask on them it's even easier than
usual to lift traces. If you're really paranoid you can coat the traces
around the chip with a clear conformal coating (don't do the pads!) to
help prevent lifting...

-Clay