Re: More BW vector Battlezone woes...

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 12:06:26 EDT

On Apr 21, 11:23am, Mitchell Rohde wrote:
> Subject: More BW vector Battlezone woes...
>
> Alright, vector experts...
>
> I've got a Battlezone that is currently functional. Problem is the
> brightness of the monitor goes in and out. I don't think it's the Z line
> from the board as the brightness change effects the entire picture ... all
> the vectors are the same relative brightness, but overall the level goes
> between a brighter (normal) state and a dimmer state....
>
> in the monitor, right? Anyone have a similar experience and can say
> "X part is bad" before I dig into the whole circuit...?

When you say "brightness", are you talking about just the line, or the entire
monitor get's a little brighter? I had the same problem with a G05 I was
working on last night. After recapping the monitor, adjusting the HV anode
clip that attaches to the tube so it got better contact, reflowing/adding
solder to the header pins, lightly sanding the header pins, and spraying
contact/tuner cleaner on all the adjustment pots on the deflection board
(brightness and contrast, as well and X and Y lin adjustments), I fired up the
monitor again and all was well.

I can't say EXACTLY which one cleared it up, but in my experience it's always
been due to unclean pins with cracked solder joints. However, the procedure
above is standard operating procedure for me whenever I work with the B&W G05
monitors (or most any monitor).

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL