Re: Electrohome G08 question

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 13:36:25 EDT

        Electrically, all it is is a large voltage divider. Technically,
you could make one yourself with 2 resistors.

        However, the trick is making one that won't kill you. Commercial
HV probes have all kinds of shielding and insulation to prevent arc-over,
and let you measure the HV safely.

        There's some info about HV probes in the sci.electronics.repair
faq at www.repairfaq.org

Joe

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> >Yeah I have a HV probe and should have thought about using it.
>
> Here's kind of a stupid question. Is an HV probe a special piece of
> electronic equipment, or is it just a higher-resistance lead that you hook up to a
> regular DMM, and you then scale up your DMM readings?
>
> Drew

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760