Re: Something to Bookmark

From: Aaron Howald <Ahowald_at_bilbo.w-link.net>
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 03:35:08 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19@idt.net>
To: 'vectorlist@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu' <vectorlist@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sunday, May 09, 1999 9:50 PM

>You may want to add in a paragraph explaining that if you dont want as big
>of a spark let the monitor sit a couple hours or overnight before
>discharging it. G07s will usually lose most of their charge if they sit
>for a day or so, I've never gotten a spark from them after waiting.. I
>dunno if you want to add this in either, but the WG 610x color vector
>monitors automatically discharge the tube whenever they are off.. I've
>never gotten a spark from them even discharging them 1 min after being
>turned off.
Hi! I work with tv sets all the time (repair shop) and manufacurers make
flybacks 2 ways: with a bleeder resistor, and without. The withouts are the
ones that can hold HV for weeks sometimes, with a bleeder, hv goes to zero
within 1 minute!

 A sure way to tell is this:if the tube crackles for 5-10 seconds AFTER the
power is turned off, the tube is discharging itself (WG vector monitors, and
all Sony tv's I have worked on) If it just turns off, with no crackle, you
have 20-30 kv on the tube...
all recent GE/RCA sets are like this-and the tube can stay charged a long
time...
This crackle test is at least 95% positive, but I still clip a lead to the
outside of the tube and a screwdriver and "POP" the tube...I have not been
hit with 30Kv yet in 10 years, and am not looking forward to the first
time...

Thanks!
Aaron Howald
ahowald@w-link.net