Re: Casters on games

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 15:45:26 EDT

> "Christopher X. Candreva" wrote:
>
> > I'm getting tired of trying to 'walk' my games across the floor on half
> > broken, chew-ed up feet. (The game's feet, not mine).

I finally caught this sentence again and thought to myself "Walking your games
across the floor? Don't you have a moving dolly??" I don't have wheels on
mine cabinets, but a nicely padded, long tongued dolly has always worked fine
for moving games. If you're worried about ruining your floor, put new feet on
the games and hot glue some rubber cups on the bottom of them (can get them at
Walmart).

> > Rather than just replacing them with new slides, is there any good reason
> > not to put casters under there ?

Other than hacking up an otherwise original cabinet?

> > Would make them a hell of a lot easier to move around for fixing, cleaning,
> > etc,

I guess you have to ask if retrofitting new wheels to all your games is worth
it. How often do you need to fix, clean and etc your games? If rarely, are
you really saving yourself any trouble that a few seconds with a moving dolly
couldn't fix?

> > even keep them off the floor a bit.

That's what properly adjusted leg levelers are for.

This is all coming from a purist point of view, of course. I don't know how
many times I had to spend time putting in new leg lever plates or t-nuts
because someone hacked-up the bottom of a cabinet...

As for what Rodger says, I've seen people mount extra wheels on the rear of
their games which is kinda slick (and only takes a few minutes to remove
without hacking up the leg levers). And I do appreciate moving games when
they've already got wheels in them. However, someone ripped the wheels out of
my Tapper, so if someone has a set of Bally Midway casters from a trashed out
Tron or something, let me know, as I could use a set. (See? Cabinet hackers
causing me trouble again! :-))

Just my 2 cents. My games are on carpet though, so maybe my opinion doesn't
apply :-).

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL