RE: Casters on games

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 16:39:44 EDT

> I finally caught this sentence again and thought to myself "Walking
> your games
> across the floor? Don't you have a moving dolly??" I don't have
> wheels on
> mine cabinets, but a nicely padded, long tongued dolly has always
> worked fine
> for moving games.

Dolly's are great-- if you have room to tip it back and get rolling.
Tough when the games are lined up close to each other and against the
wall though...

> > > Rather than just replacing them with new slides, is there any good
> reason
> > > not to put casters under there ?
>
> Other than hacking up an otherwise original cabinet?

*Doh!* Look out! Mark's on his "original" kick again. ;-)

> I guess you have to ask if retrofitting new wheels to all your games
> is worth
> it. How often do you need to fix, clean and etc your games? If
> rarely, are
> you really saving yourself any trouble that a few seconds with a
> moving dolly
> couldn't fix?

I can certainly see the value in wheels, but I never liked the added
height. Those refrigerator tracks sound interesting though. My garage
is rather like those "slide puzzles" where you only have one empty
spot-- any sort of re-arranging turns into a huge game of "move this
here, move that there, slide that here..."

With about ~14 uprights (a good portion vectors) it seems like there's
always at least one of my games that needs *some* kind of service. (My
BZ is conked out at the moment, and I can't get it out from the wall
'cause Gauntlet is blocking it, which is in turn blocked by ESB, etc.
:-)

        [...]
> Just my 2 cents. My games are on carpet though, so maybe my opinion
> doesn't
> apply :-).

On carpet I had really good luck with taking the casters off (and losing
them to annoy Mark should he ever buy one of my games ;-) and putting a
piece of cardboard slightly larger than the base of the cab under the
game. It'd just kinda slide like a giant, vertical sled that way...
Just remember to push "low" on the cabinet. Cardboard is like some kind
of brown teflon to large objects. (I moved a 6' jacuzzi across our yard
and onto the deck by myself by sliding it on cardboard-- it was actually
"easy" even... Weird.)

-Clay