RE: Casters on games

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 14:57:42 EDT

> 2 inches? You're dog must have a REAL bladder problem :-). You can
> adjust leg levelers to nearly that height as well.

It's the clean-up afterwards. Moving four games around to mop the floor is a
real pain.

I think this must come under " THings people REALLY didn't want to know."

But since someone commented on my toilet problem too:

About 2 weeks ago, the main sewer line out to the street got plugged. Turned
out to be tree roots that had grown into it -- standard roto rooter job. At
the time things finally got plugged up good, the washing machine and dish
washer were going, and my wife was cleaning the upstairs bathroom. Once all
this water hit the blockage, it had to go somewhere, and it came out the
first available opening, which happens to be the basement toilet.

I stop the washing machine and am franticly trying to catch the water in
buckets, while screaming to my wife above me "SHUT DOWN ALL THE WATER". She
thought I was singing for the first -- well it felt like 10 minutes, but was
probably just a few seconds. All I could think of afterwards was "SHUT DOWN
ALL THE GARBAGE MASHERS ON THE DENTENION LEVEL".

So anyway, she runs franticly down shutting off the dishwasher, and we form
a bucket brigade, I'm trying to bail the toilet faster than it's filling
with water from the rest of the houses's pipes, she's running them out the
garage to dump down the driveway. We won the race, the games were saved.

The point of all this tale of woe, though, is basements flood. That's what
they are there for -- to take the water instead of your livingroom, kitchen,
etc. Sump pumps can cure many problems, but there is always the pipe the
bursts, the window someone left open just before a large rain storm, or the
really bad rain storm that makes your basement get ground water for the
first time ever, or at least since you bought the house.

May parrents house used to get water before they put 2 pumps in. Previous
owners (probably back many years) built concrete platforms that the
washer/dryer and boiler sit on, to get above the water line.

All I'm thinking is it's probably a good idea to get these things off the
floor a good ways, and to make it easy to mop up. It seems easy enough to
lock it in place with a stick of wood in front and back.

Having said all that -- the local hardware store sells a set of big slides
that might fit for about $3 a set of four.

Plumbing advice on VectorList -- whoda thunkit.

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/