Re: Tempest Multigame (behaviour)

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 21:48:01 EDT

On Tue, 25 May 1999 17:27:42 -0700, Clay Cowgill <ClayC@diamondmm.com> wrote:

>> >Anyone see any use in being able to deliberately set high score
>> values
>> >(or time in play/credits) for Tempest? I figured out all the data in
>> the
>> >EAROM and can change it at will now...
>>
>> I want people who see my scores to believe them. If they can go to a
>> menu and change high scores, then having your name on the high score
>> list wouldn't mean much. I'm sure this is why high scores are not
>> saved in the test/free play modes.
>>
>I agree, but with unlimited quarters with Tempest you can always just
>start the next game at the highest level possible and get the huge
>first-wave completion bonus. Repeat enough times and you can get huge
>scores without too much effort anyway... I like being able to "edit
>out" the cheaters. ;-)

It don't work that way, there's always a skill level that people top out at.

You can't "cheat" in Tempest by simply racking up credits.

My brother cannot make it past yellow, given an infinite amount of quarters.
All I need to do is work up to light blue, start one game, and until he does a
lot more practicing, my high score will remain. And if he ever makes it to
light blue, I'll just move the score up to invisible. Hee hee.

Unless you consider "repeat enough times" weeks to months of practice. I would
agree that is a legitimate way to "cheat".

Given an infinite amount of quarters have you made it to level 99? ;^)

-Zonn