Re: Tempest Multigame (behaviour)

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_fastlane.net>
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 23:46:25 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC@diamondmm.com>
To: 'vectorlist@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu' <vectorlist@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 5:28 PM
Subject: RE: Tempest Multigame (behaviour)

>> >Anyone see any use in being able to deliberately set high score
>> values
>> >(or time in play/credits) for Tempest? I figured out all the data in
>> the
>> >EAROM and can change it at will now...
>>
>> I want people who see my scores to believe them. If they can go to a
>> menu and change high scores, then having your name on the high score
>> list wouldn't mean much. I'm sure this is why high scores are not
>> saved in the test/free play modes.
>>
>I agree, but with unlimited quarters with Tempest you can always just
>start the next game at the highest level possible and get the huge
>first-wave completion bonus. Repeat enough times and you can get huge
>scores without too much effort anyway... I like being able to "edit
>out" the cheaters. ;-)

There is a bug in Tempest which allows you to save high scores even when
using "demo" mode. I discovered it a few years ago and posted about it.
You must put the dips for demo mode and AFTER the wave starts, set the dips
back to regular mode. The game over -> high score code RE-READS the dips to
determine if you are in demo mode and thinks you weren't!