RE: The long history of Cinematronics and Vectorbeam

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 20:51:08 EDT

> I looked into using MOSFETs once, the problem I had was how to control
> them in the analog mode. They really want to act like a switch. And
> the level at which they are in analog mode is very narrow and varies
> all over the place even between the same parts off the same batch.

Yep. The switching emphasis is what I'm bashing my head against now.

> I found a schematic for an audio amplifier once where they used
> MOSFETs in there analog mode as the output devices, there was a lot of
> circuitry to control them, and they were unable to come up with a
> designed that worked without tuning. Each device (there was two, it
> was a complimentary output driver) required a trim pot to be adjusted
> to the proper "analog" voltage level, to work.

There's an application note from IR or Vishay or someplace that has
something like what you describe. Did you ever see that MOSFET
deflection amp design I had from a book that I posted on my old webpage?
It used the high-power L165 (I think National's is the LM675?) op-amp as
source for the MOSFETs. I didn't have any luck finding the old MOSFETs
in the design to see what their characteristics were like though. :-(

> It makes you wonder if you could not use them in a PWM mode. That
> would be very efficient heat wise, but I'm sure the PWM frequency
> would have to be very high. But I know they've built audio amplifiers
> this way!

That was the first thing one of the guys where I work suggested. I
don't know-- I suppose it's do-able, but like you said the operating
frequency might be tough to synthesize at the required speed (and I
don't know what settling time and transitional behavior would "look"
like). Ears are pretty forgiving, but eyes might "see" something
undesirable?

-Clay