Re: The long history of Cinematronics and Vectorbeam

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 21:27:18 EDT

On Thu, 27 May 1999 00:26:34 GMT, you wrote:

>I looked into using MOSFETs once, the problem I had was how to control
>them in the analog mode. They really want to act like a switch. And
>the level at which they are in analog mode is very narrow and varies
>all over the place even between the same parts off the same batch.

        They also seem to _really_ like to overheat and self-destruct when run
in the analog mode if you're trying to switch significant amounts of
current with them... (At least that's what we found out in the lab where I
work; we were trying to control a 40W (1A @ 40VDC) heater element with
one.)

>It makes you wonder if you could not use them in a PWM mode. That
>would be very efficient heat wise, but I'm sure the PWM frequency
>would have to be very high. But I know they've built audio amplifiers
>this way!

        A deflection coil would be an inductive load, though... wouldn't
ringing be a problem?
"An Academic speculated whether a bather is beautiful if there is none
 in the forest to admire her. He hid in the bushes to find out, which
 vitiated his premise but made him happy.
 Moral: Empiricism is more fun than speculation." -- Sam Weber
solarfox@DON'TMESSWITHtexas.net (Gary Akins jr.)
http://lonestar.texas.net/~solarfox