RE: Tempest Multigame (behaviour)

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 23:55:44 EDT

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Doug Jefferys wrote:

> I managed to raise my high score from 350,000 to around 500,000 over
> the space of a month or so, by having 2-3 hour sessions on free play.

300,000, 700,000 -- Man, I'm lucky to break $100k ! Good thing the damn
basement renovation is done so I can get back to playing.

Rather amusingly, I always remember that I got my highest score ever on
Tempest at about 12:15 PM on Thanksgiving. Our local station (as I'm sure
many do) plays "Alice's Restaurant" at noon on Thanksgiving. About that time
I went down for a "quick game" while wainting to go to whatever relatives we
were going to.

Something about that song gave me a "Tempest Zen Moment". I was one with the
machine, while listening about the garbage, blind justice, and how to avoid
the draft. Then the song ended -- and so did my game.

I assume everyone here knows the trick of scoring low on your first level,
to get two extra lives ?

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/