Re: Ampliphone HV FAQ is done!!!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 17:28:21 EDT

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:05:12 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>On Jun 7, 12:35pm, jeff hendrix wrote:
>> Subject: RE: Ampliphone HV FAQ is done!!!
>> Has anybody called zanen lately to see what the status is on his replacement
>> HVs?
>
>Well, I had to call him anyway to order some width coils for G07s, so I asked
>him.
>
>He said he's got some samples there which he is going to test himself. He said
>testing should take a few weeks, and if they are reliable, he will place an
>order. When I asked him what they will cost, he said he hopes they will be
>around $60 to $70 a piece.

Instead of waiting for HV transformers to be made, would it be simpler
to use some very popular, existing HV transformer (a nice one with the
HV diode built in) and design new drive electronics around it?

All the other components of a HV system seem readily available, and
MCM sells flyback transformers for like $10 - $50! Using one of
these, some commonly used current boost transformer, and a regulation
design that regulates the input voltage to control the output voltage
(like the WG did), it seems like we'd have a replacement for all HV
supplies by now. (It could easily be designed to work with ALL X/Y
monitors.)

-Zonn