RE: Ampliphone HV FAQ is done!!!

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 17:38:22 EDT

> Instead of waiting for HV transformers to be made, would it be simpler
> to use some very popular, existing HV transformer (a nice one with the
> HV diode built in) and design new drive electronics around it?

This is a good idea, IMHO. I had looked into using a GO-7 HV transformer as
the basis for a new HV supply (not the cheapest, but readily available --
seemingly forever-- and I had all the "parts" needed on old GO-7 chassis).
I quickly realized I was in over my head on the analog side though and kinda
abandoned the idea.

The gotcha with picking a "cheap" HVT from MCM is whether it'll be cheap
forever. (Sometimes the cheap ones are just getting sold off.) I also have
*no* idea where you'd get a "designer's guide" for a particular model HVT.
(I didn't know how to spec the boost transformer from a new supplier--
robbing them from old GO-7's is only good for a while...)

Since most all the color vectors use the same tube it seems that a common HV
supply would be very do-able.

I wonder if there's such a thing as "several" HVT's that have common
footprints and at least "sorta" close specs? If so it'd probably be
possible to do a single PCB and then have different stuffing options for
more than one transformer in-case one were to "go off the cheap list"...

-Clay