Re: Ampliphone HV-other options?!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 20:56:56 EDT

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:33:38 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>guess that's why I went into CS and not EE :-)
>
>on the other hand, isn't the circuit
>
>+V ---+
> |
> Hdevl yoke
> |

> Horz Output Xformer
> |

> Horz Output Transistor
> |
> gnd
>
>guess I should measure the inductance of a horz yoke
>winding vs the inductance of the HV primary

It's pretty confusing just where the yoke come's in. But one thing's
for sure, one side of the Flyback's primary goes directly to 123v (and
one side of the yoke) and the other side goes thru the horz drive
transistor, to GND. The output of the transformer is also brought
back into the yoke, and I'm pretty sure they use the "flyback" (when
the inductor 'discharges') feedback to allow the horizontal deflection
to go negative (to the left side of zero), while only being supplied
with positive pulses from the horizontal drive.

It also looks like the output voltage is controlled by keeping a
secondary tap at 24v, which is pretty convenient (it means we wouldn't
have to deal directly with the HV tap. And it must work, they're
doing it.)

Those 12dc to 120v A.C. power inverters are getting cheap. Maybe we
could design a 12v HV system using one of those? Seems better just to
use an isolation transformer. We could hook up (backwards) a 50v
(25vct) transformer to the output of the 50v transformer supplying the
power to the monitor to get 120volts, but it's probably easier just to
find an isolation transformer. Up until the most current generation
of WG monitors, one was required, there must be many floating around.

-Zonn