Re: Major Havoc Roller Controller (Shafts)

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 12:39:20 EDT

"Christopher X. Candreva" wrote:
> Say Jess -- the MH page on gamearchive.com has mentioned for quite a while
> now an ending comming in about 6 months. Are you still working on this ?

Well, er sorta. With my move into a new house and lots of renovating, things went on hold
a bit. Now that I can use MAME to test some hacks out (instead of having to burn a new
eprom everytime) things should be a lot easier. I will formally say that this fall I will
start working on it until it is done. Now with that said, I will just have to get it done.

> I've also found it odd -- now that I can actually do well on the game with
> the real controller --

Yep, the game is *tons* easier with the roller controller. YOu can spin it so hard that
you almost jump the span of an entire maze sometime. It also makes
stopping much easier.

>> that while the map on the side shows something like a
> planet after every four stations, nothing happens when you 'reach' a planet.
> I'ld think there would be greatfull people, or clones, or an angry warlord,
> or something.

it should really show somthing like a large mothership or something through most of the
game and then when you are indeed 4 levels from the end, then it should show a planet.
Good idea. I will change that.

Basically here are the things that I want to add (this is pending on ROM space so I may
have problems). If I have to add more pages of ROM things could get trickier, unless Clay
wants to make do something with a Major Havoc multigame that has more address space ;-)

- 8 more levels
- A big maze for the homeworld. With 3 reactors (Owen Rubin's original idea)
- Random levels after the homeworld
- A new "Max" enemy robot (it is in the original ROM's just not used).
- The Max robots will randomly replace the normal perkoids after level 18 so that
  levels are different everytime (pattern strategies won't work). Also note, the Max
robots don't kill you but they will 'paralyze' you when you are hit with their shots.
They also track you, unlike the perkoids which just follow a
  horizontal or vertical pattern. If you touch a Max, you will die however. :-)
- More warp codes
- secret easter eggs and hidden levels
- hopefully the star castle level will return, I have to do some drawing for it
  since the original vector objects don't exist anymore
- speech will be available if you want to stuff the parts required. The PCB has
  all the necessary traces, the parts just aren't there. I will sell parts kits
  to do this.

My basic premise is to make this a game for the home. It will be challenging enough that
it will take time to master but the randomness should keep it interesting forever I hope.

I created a "vaxx suggestions" folder in Netscape just now. So if anyone has any
suggestions or bitches about the game let-em-fly and I will keep them all handy.
I think Im going to make Mark Cerney's levels (14,15,16) a bit easier (or shift them to
the end levels) just so the game isn't so frustrating.