Re: [arcade] rotating monitors frequently (fwd)

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 11:07:30 EDT

On Jul 13, 11:25pm, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> Subject: Re: [arcade] rotating monitors frequently (fwd)
> >
> > You'll see my version of a raster cabinet with a easily rotatable monitor
:-).
> > It's a 25" monitor. If the game has been off for a good amount of time
(maybe
> > 20+ minutes), I can rotate the monitor in any direction, and the colors
will be
> > fine.
> >
> > However, if I go from playing a Horizontal game to a vertical game, as I
turn
> > the monitor, the colors will change. By using a degausing coil, I can fix
90%
> > of the monitors color in about 15 seconds, but for some reason the upper
right
> > corner (which would be the lower right corner in horizontal mode) remains
> > unchanged :-\. Of course, if I turn the game off and turn it on a few
hours
> > later, the corner color is fine again.
>
> There is a really easy way around the problem of having to wait for a
> monitor to "straighten itself out" by letting it sit for a while.. The
> reason you have to wait is because the PTC is cooling down. Just short it
> out and put a switch inline with the degaussing coil (DGC). Whenever you
> want to DG just press the button for about 3 seconds.

Way ahead of you. Already did that.

> DGing doesn't hurt
> the monitor, just dont hold the button down for a few minutes or you may
> see smoke.

Did that too :-)

> the PTC (positive Temperature coefficient) is basically a resistor that
> limits current flow when it heats up. When the monitor is cold the PTC
> passes current to the DGC, and after a few seconds it heats up and cuts
> the current off. It will "trickle" enough to keep it warm (and thus the
> DGC off) whenever the monitor is on. it usually takes at least 10 min
> for the PTC to cool off enought to do a complete DG. The PTC is that
> little black box with 3 pins on the monitor chassis, usually right next to
> the DGC connector..

While this is all nifty in theory, the monitors built-in degaussing coil is no
where near as strong as the hand ones. Doing what you expressed above does not
fix the colors in my situation, even my original intention was exactly what you
stated above. I didn't want to have to get the hand one, but it was necessary
in my case.

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL