Re: BattleZone Monitor? Problem

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 18:14:52 EDT

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:37:08 -0400, you wrote:

>Curious. I'm sure the horizontal is rock solid. The vertical shrink is
>exponential from the center out. In other words, the area where the tanks are
>shows less shrink, the mountains more, and the radar section is the worst (same
>on the bottom of the screen). Near the middle is normal. It does it in an
>irregualar pattern. If it's just insulation, what can I use to insulate it?
>Electrical tape? Shrink tubing (pardon the unintentional pun)?

If the horizontal *is* rock solid, then it's not the HV.

Have you checked the size pots? Spray some electronic cleaning stuff
(Radio Shack sells something along those lines) into the size
potentiometers and give them a few twist from end to end. This is a
very common problem on the Cinematronics monitors where the pots are
on the monitor.

It sounds like a thermal problem of some type, and since you tried
freeze spray on the VG, try it on the input transistors, resistors,
and capacitors of the vertical section of the monitor.

An X/Y scope would be useful here to determine whether it's the board
or monitor at fault.

-Zonn