RE: Tempest Multigame Installed

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 20:03:35 EDT

> I got my Tempest MG kit today, dropped all my responsibilities and
> installed
> it. The install was easy - actually the MG kit was easier (faster) to
> install than the reset adapter - took about 25 minutes total.
>
> In general it works great, but I have 2 questions (problems?).
>
> 1) The Vortex logo blinks on and off as it appears causing the spot killer
> to blink on and off as well (or vice-versa). Is this normal?

Erm... yes and no. The Vortex logo effect is really funky. I think it does
some kind of fast hardware zoom and pallete cycling. (MAME can't reproduce
it for example.) It kinda looks like it flashes and zooms into place
several times a second kinda like a strobe or something. I've never watched
the spot killer when it was happening, but would probably flick on when the
screen is empty during the flashing. Depends a lot on how sensitive your
spot killer is-- they seem to vary a lot.

> 2) The sounds - particulary the sound of the pulsars - seems stiffled, not
> as rich as it was before. Is there something in the kit that could case
> this
> or am I getting a *new* problem with my board.

Hmmmm. Not going to be kit related unless you're running Vortex or Aliens
code that might have different sound FX for the Pulsar. (Different filter
in the POKEY for example.)

-Clay