RE: Tempest Multigame: Problem?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Jul 22 1999 - 11:56:15 EDT

> That sounds right; I don't remember if your settings included free-play,
> but
> that's how I have mine set; everything else is recommended settings, with
> Aliens selected OFF.

Come closer... Closer... *smack*!!!

If it's set to free play, that isn't just the "recommended" settings, is it?
(Tech Supprt flashbacks: "Click OK". "ok" "What happened?" "nothing."
"Did you click on OK?" "no" "Why not?" "i'm not at the computer.") I'll
have to try it again with free-play on and see what's up.

> If I remember correctly, the high score of CLC 102XXX high score is
> displayed
> during the games that get stuck in PRESS START mode. Would clearing the
> high
> scores have anything to do with it? I ask because I haven't cleared the
> high
> scores for Tempest or V-breakout like you ask/recommend.

You just don't like following the directions, do you Mark? ;-) (J/K--
giving you a hard time... :-) I don't think that would matter-- clearing
the high scores from V-Breakout will only erase some stuff high up in EAROM
above the rest of the games.

> Also, I have the reset board installed on the boardset.

Shouldn't matter. All that amounts to is a remote switch in parallel with
the reset button on the PCB.

> If you would like, I can send you the boardset so that you can work with a
> reproducable scenario.

I'd rather have you try it with the recommended settings. It's possible
that there's something goofy with the free-play setting (it doesn't make any
sense that there would be though because I never touched any of that code).
I don't know when I'd get around to trying to fix anything-- aside from
building up units I'm already off on other projects. I might just have to
document it and suggest coin-mode as a workaround.

-Clay