Re: Stay on Target - A Cinematroncs question

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 29 1999 - 14:20:07 EDT

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Simon Whittam wrote:

> When I subscribed to the vector list I thought there would
> be lots of meaty discussion on Vector related subjects. Instead I
> read items that should be posted on RGVAC/M. So, let me
> "try" to get this group back "on target". (OK, my ranting is over).

        A couple of words on this....

        While it's true that some off-topic stuff gets posted here, I am
of the opinion that this list is more or less on-topic. I ranted a few
months ago about off-topic posts, but IMHO, this list has been going the
way it has been for the past 2 years. Keep in mind that some people don't
read RGVAC/M and have no desire to. In the future, if you have some
concerns about the "on-topicness" of the list, why not bounce them off
us (The co-owners of the list: labuda@dell.com or
jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu) first, rather than spamming the list?

        Now, onward....

> Anyone got a list?

        Sort of.

> AA uses: CPU number, rom type etc
> RO uses: ?
> SC uses: ?

        I'm not sure if the list that exists lists the rev. of the board.
for each game.

> Lastly the AA sound board and RO sound board are different. Do
> AA/RO and SC use completely different sound cards?

        Yes.

        All the answers to your questions can be found in Steve Ozdemir's
Cinematronics History and Cinematronics Conversion documents (The latter
might be part of the Conversion FAQ -- I forget) which have been around
for over 5 years now. They should be up on spies.

        Short answer: All sound boards are completely different. Rip Off
and Star Castle use the same CPU board (different ROMS, of course) and
Armor Attack and Solar Quest use the same CPU board.

Joe