Re: Vector programming

From: Andrew Wilson <atwilson_at_home.com>
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 13:58:24 EDT

> Have you thought of using a standard CVS system ? (The kind of things the
> various GNU projects use to check-in and check-out parts of code that are
> being worked on).

        I'm using CVS now, and I must say that I despise it. Even though I've
got a background in using RCS, I found CVS to be a pain in the butt to get used
to. CVS has a distinct learning curve, along with some not-insignificant setup
required by the user.

        Personally, I would go the route you are currently going (CGI scripts)
- anything that lowers the barrier for people to contribute to your project is
a Good Thing. Even a motivated developer might balk at having to spend an
hour installing CVS, setting it up to use your server (god help them if they
are behind a firewall) and getting used to how to checkout and commit files.

        No offense to those who love CVS - enough people use it that it's
obviously got a lot of great points. But it's overkill for an
"add-documentation-to-this-source-code" project, IMO.

                        Drew