Re: vector programming...

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Sat Oct 02 1999 - 00:05:19 EDT

> > This sounds like a disassembler I wrote eons ago that actually does a code
> > walkthrough. Here's a sample from an Asteroids dump:
> > 7d01 9d 00 01 STA $0100,X ; Stack page
> Hmmmm... had to comment on this line of code. Looks like Atari didn't
> respect the stack page as being holy. Maybe they figured that $0180-01FF
> was good enough to the stack. In pouring through the Tempest code, I see
> numerous game variables that are stored between $0100-0180.
> Have you seen the same thing w/Asteroids?

Oh yeah. The actual maximum function call depth of Asteroids is only
around 30 calls at the deepest point. Couple that with the NMIs and push's
you only have about 10 bytes more, so only 70 of the 255 bytes are used.
Why not use the lower ones? ;-)

-->Neil

Neil Bradley Synthcom home : http://www.synthcom.com
Synthcom Systems, Inc. C++ - Where you can make your privates public!
ICQ # 29402898 Friends don't let newbie programmer friends do C++