Re: Amplifone tube.

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_fastlane.net>
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 02:40:34 EDT

>I found a guy with an Amplifone tube and yoke out of a Star Wars. I have no
>idea of it's functioning condition, but it has only the tiniest of
>center-hole burn and no other burn-in (that I noticed).
>
>Can this be used in a WG6100 chasis? Would I need Clay's display corrector
>to run it in a Tempest? Would I still need the display corrector if I was
>using a Major Havoc board to drive it?

Yes; this is what I have been doing with the tubes I run across. The
picture is AMAZING with this tube in a W-G and the display correction is in
the yoke/tube; not in the monitor PCBs so everything looks the same on the
picture is if it were the Amplifone PCBs. The only tiny problem is the
corner of the HV unit actually touches the tube as the tube sticks farther
back! The yoke wire needs NO MOD; it just plugs right in (don't let the
wire color mismatch fool you). The yoke connector is different and I have
been taking the tube connector off dead W-G monitors (lots of different
models used the same one) and carefully removing the Amplifone one and
transplanting the W-G one. Another more hack solution is to transplant the
yoke connector of the Amplifone onto the W-G neck board.