Re: Vector programming

From: James G Watt <jim_at_kinetic-arts.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 12:30:37 EDT

The jag version is tremendous. Minter at his best. The pc one doesn't
quite cut the mustard. There's a saturn version too. I haven't played
it.

>The PSX one seemed passable to me, sorta improved the Jag graphics with
>textures on the tubes.

the psx one has something very like the Minter one hidden in it (it
doesn't have the devil head thing though :-(

The thing that bugs me about the psx one is the solar effect beyond the
end of the web. It distracts me when I'm looking at what's coming up the
web and when it shines through the transparent sides of the web it
darkens as if the web was made of stained glass. In my mind that's
wrong. I always imagined the effect should be like a laser beam cutting
through smoke not like a giant stained glass structure floating in
space.

> (Didn't the Jaguar version have the weird "fly along
>the giant strip of bacon and pick stuff" or fly through rings sequence or
>something?)
Yes. I like that bit. You move from the frantic action of tempest
instantly to this trippy sequence that still requires absolute
concentration - it's jarring but in a good way. It's also a neat way of
letting expert payers jump to the advanced stuff like the choice of
start positions in the original.

>The "Classic" versions on both were really horrible...
agreed.

--
James G Watt
http://www.kinetic-arts.demon.co.uk