Re: Amplifone tube.

From: fishd <fishd_at_tiac.net>
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 14:03:50 EDT

At 11:07 AM 10/10/99 -0500, Joe W. wrote:

> The tube model is NOT the same as the one in the WG. The
>Amplifone is a 19VLTP22 (or some Rauland part number that I always
>forget.) I think you are right on the WG part number. The VLTP is a
>medium res tube, while the VLUP is a low-res tube. It makes a difference.

 Last Friday I spent about a half hour on the phone with
one of the guys at T.M.C., a CRT rebuilder/supplier. This
guy knows just about everything about picture tubes and he
LOVES to talk :-) Here's some of the things I learned:

1) The 19VLTP22 tube is LOW resolution. Wells Gardner used it alot.
It's used in thier 49xx series monitors. Electrohome also used it
in thier G07-CBO's. RCA was the only manufacturer.

The gassy tube in my Quantum was a 19VLTP22. I replaced it with one
from a spare G07.

2) The 19VJTP22 tube, specified on the Amplifone schematics is LOW
resolution also. The pinout is identical to the VLT tube. The difference
is in the design of the gun. Shunts on the sides of the gun assembly
were changed to make convergence easier. It's unclear if a yoke wound
for the VJT can be used on a VLT, green convergence may suffer.

3) He remembered there was a medium resolution tube with a part number
that began with M48.

This is the Rauland M48AAW00X tube that Atari started using in place of
the VLT tubes found in early Quantums. The Atari part number 134004-001,
listed in the Atarifone manual TM-239 is for the Rauland tube. There ARE
low resolution Amplifones out there.

Dave

David Fish "We want...Information. INFORMATION
Melrose, MA USA You won't get it!
   fishd@tiac.net By hook or by crook we will"
   dfish@bev.etn.com _The Prisoner_