Re: Pokey chip extraction

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 17:42:57 EDT

The nasty way is too heat up the board with a small propane torch, then
whack the board down to blow all the solder off. Believe it or not this
works very well, and with a little bit of practice you can get lots of
chips off a board with very little risk to the chips. It's all in how you
move the heat source around. NEVER leave on one spot! When the solder melts
(it looks a little different), then you quickly bang the board on the
bench. Others might talk about hot sand in a pot (works nicely I hear) but
this is what we use for terminal boards. Not in front of customers of course!

Otherwise, solder wick or a good solder sucker are highly recommended, and
practice on a few junk boards (like that old ROTJ that is gathering dust)
until you get the hang of it.

John :-#)#

  http://www.flippers.com