Re: Pokey chip extraction / Tempest Repair.

From: Al Warner <batlzone_at_cyberenet.net>
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 06:20:33 EDT

I'd also like to add that out of 4 BB cartridges, I was able to get one Pokey out using
wick without damaging it. Another had 1 broken pin which I soldered another pin to it
to fix. I was lucky in that the only thing wrong with my Tempest was the Pokeys.

For historical purposes: The Tempest machine was showing the game grid with none of
the vectors matching up and there were button and controller problems. The controller
problems pointed me to the Pokeys, the weird vectors pointed me to the ALUs. I
rearranged the ALUs hoping to affect a change in the problem, but it did not help. I
replaced the two Pokeys and everything was fine. I guess because the Pokeys are in the
same circuit as the ALUs, they were causing the strange vectors. I have not seen this
documented before so I thought I would pass it on.

-Al-

jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu wrote:

> Buy a "prefessional" desoldering gun/station. This will cost you
> at least $300. That's the best way (you asked!)
>
> Before I opted for that option, I had OK results with the $9.95
> Radio Shack combination desoldering iron/solder sucker....but there is
> really no comparison to a professional quality desoldering tool.
>
> Joe
>
> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, tom mcclintock wrote:
>
> > I just received numerous Ballblazer carts in order to harvest the Pokey chips for
> > my Tempest and Space Duel boardsets. As many of you have probably seen, they are
> > soldered directly onto the Ballblazer board.
> >
> > What is the best way to remove the chips that is also the least damaging to the
> > Pokey? Can't say I've done too many board repairs before so I thought I might as
> > well do right the first time.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > tom

> Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
> Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
> Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
> Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
> P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760

-=               Al Warner batlzone@cyberenet.net                    =-
-= Learn how to install a Cap Kit in your video game's monitor and   =-
-= see a whole lot more on my web page at:                           =-
-=               http://www.cyberenet.net/~batlzone                  =-