Re: Pokey chip extraction

From: Kurt Mahan <kmahan_at_xmission.com>
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 12:13:16 EDT

> Buy a "prefessional" desoldering gun/station. This will cost you
> at least $300. That's the best way (you asked!)
>
> Before I opted for that option, I had OK results with the $9.95
> Radio Shack combination desoldering iron/solder sucker....but there is
> really no comparison to a professional quality desoldering tool.

I actually went out and bought the Weller SCD1000 (part number from
memory, I'm many hundreds of miles away from my workbench). It is
the weller desoldering gun. It works really well. It takes a long
time to heat up initially, but once it is "no problem". Its not as
good for fine-pitch work, but for just things like standard chips
and recapping monitors it is awesome. Someday I'll get a decent
desoldering station but I need to find one of those sweet deals that
Clay always seems to find..

And yes, I do have one of the "blue" solder suckers which I still use
all the time.

Kurt