RE: Vector programming

From: Christopher Bright <cbright_at_intouchsurvey.com>
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 09:42:47 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Clay Cowgill [SMTP:ClayC@diamondmm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 8:47 PM
To: 'vectorlist@lists.cc.utexas.edu'
Subject: RE: Vector programming

> I suppose you could keep track of the highest level achieved, but if
> people started using this as the basis of skill judging, then the
> "scoring" would be reduced to a "fuel" analogy. (Who cares about the
> score, it's more important to get to the next higher level.)

Hi all,

Here is my formula for scoring like this;

Your final score is based on the score that your have after the highest
level that you completed or the maximum "score" you have been at during the
game..

 After each level you'd get a bonus based on something like;

Bonus = 1000 * 1.2^(Level Number)

( 1.2 could be any number, but something around 1.2 - 1.5 would make the
"score" build up nicely. You could even add a level timer that would be
used as a variable in the above equation... some like in Pengo where the
bonus drops exponentially the longer you take to finish.)

This would be added to your remaining "score" from the level that you
completed.

It would be "neat" to actually display the formula being used to calculate
to score between levels.

The game would get harder and it progressed AND the "score" would drop a
little faster.

I think this formula would make you want to do the best you could
throughout the game and still make you want to complete one more level
because it would raise your score to a new maximum. Points for kill things,
etc. would be added to the "score" so it would encourage "killing" and not
just completing a level.

Later,
Chris Bright