New Vector monitor project progress

From: James Nelson <nelsonjjjj_at_didactics.com>
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 15:41:58 EDT

Here is the latest thinking on the New Vector monitor project.

Generating high voltage will pose no major technical challenge as it is
essentially similar to non-vector systems but needs it's own oscillator and
drive.

The Z (R G & B) inputs require simple signal conditioning with spot killer
and overdrive protection.

The linear Yoke drive will be simple to fabricate from scratch.

Now what you've been waiting for: The Yoke!

I have been thinking about this for years. I don't want to wind my own, but
you have to to get the correct inductance for the Y axis. It is about 100x
too much inductance, and would require a high voltage drive to make it work
without re-winding. Inductance goes as N^2 where N is # of turns. So
divide the coil up into 4, 8 or 10 sections and run them parallel. That
will give me 1/16 , 1/64or 1/100 the inductance, which will be between 1- 6
millihenrys. This will be adequate for use with a moderately higher voltage
drive.

Now, if someone can direct me to where to get complete chassis that are new
for under $200, then we are in luck, otherwise, I will have to go to the
local department store and use a new TV which is less expensive, but no nice
metal chassis. My main concern is that whatever chassis I pick I can get
many of in case everyone wants to buy a kit. (Clay)

Any arguments for 25" -vs- 19"? Don't most vector machines have 19" in the
first place? Tempest does. What did Star Wars have? I want to set up my
Star Wars.

OK, Please comment and complain about how I can't do it.