Re: Space Duel HV advice

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 16:46:13 EDT

The first thing that has to work after the +/- 27V is the 555 oscilator. It gets its power
from a resistor and zener off the +27V. If the resistor is open or the zener is shorted
(sometimes this happens if the +27V goes way to high) then the 555 will not have it's +15V
supply to run. Check the output of it for a nice square wave.
  This ouput goes through a few transistors, look for it on the collectors of each but
beware measuring the collector of the main drive transistor (the big one), there could be
*large* voltage spikes here. Basically, if the squre wave is not making it to the main
output transistor, then the HV transformer will not be driven with the +27V. The 180V
supply is derived from the collapse of the magnetic field on the HV transformer. You don't
have 180V because the HV transformer is not being driven (turned on and off via the square
wave).