Re: New Vector monitor project progress

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 19:02:09 EDT

> The displayed brightness of objects available in an X/Y display is why
> they use a dedicated X/Y mode, as opposed to the use of raster
> simulating an X/Y monitor (as in an emulator).

Yes, the main (only?) use of those projectors is aircraft simulators, They
are listed as being "Class C" and "Class D" capable. Class C means
realistic nighttime simulation, Class D means it can do daytime
simulation, which is pretty hard to make look realistic.. it wasnt until
the past few years it was possible to make class D sims. The reason they
are dual mode is because it can "highlight" stuff on the display such as
runway lights, which a normal raster display would not produce
brilliantly..

BTW: a lot of the older sims use direct view 25" dual mode monitors, which
are being replaced with retrofit projected monitors.. so there should be
some out there for the snatching up (not like you know what to look for, I
dont :)..

The FAA is in the middle of replacing all their Air Traffic Control scope
displays.. they use 23" round vector monitors (mono green), circa 1972.
They're just gonna trash them probably, but the consoles have cool backlit
keyboards and trackballs on them too, I may try to grab one :> About
time they got new displays, thats why they striked back in 1980...

> This is not to say there are not monitors, being used by the military,
> that emulate X/Y modes using a raster screen (I've worked with
> monitors in the medical field which do exactly that), but "knowing" of
> these monitors does not mean that real X/Y / Raster monitors do not
> exist.

Many of the "glass cockpit" aircraft displays, called EFIS (electronic
flight instrument system), are dual mode displays, namely the Collins Pro
Line displays. Rodger knows a bunch about them, I dont think they could
be used for any vector game applications however..

Jeff