Vector monitor project: PROGRESS REPORT

From: James Nelson <nelsonjjjj_at_didactics.com>
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 12:15:26 EDT

NOW FOR PROJECT PROGRESS:
My personal reason for working on this project was to create a source for
new ones to complete projects that don't have monitors (monitor shortage);
to make a "plug-in" replacement for vector games that have trashed monitors
or monitor parts.

The problem with making everything 100% compatible with old vector monitors
would be:

-If you wanted a "new" one, all the parts together (old tube, flyback,
chassis, boardsets) would cost too much as a whole.

Now, If I/we design a fully "new one" based on an existing monitor, the cost
should be controlled.

That said, I think that the kit board I describe below might be able to be
made so as to easily replace the entire deflection board and power supply on
an existing 19" WG vector monitor.

NOW FOR PROJECT PROGRESS:
Yesterday, I picked up a new 19" WGK7200 for about $250

After studying the board and the schematic, It appears that I could make a
nearly plug-in system that would sit alongside the standard chassis board
and do the deflection etc... The standard High Voltage system would be left
alone and artificial excitation would be provided for it. This would be the
simplest and most reliable approach, as I wouldn't be re-designing that part
of the mess, and the interface with the CRT grids, HV, etc... would be left
alone (read reliable).

I'm estimating that a complete kit to add vector graphics to this monitor,
yoke and all would set us back $200. One "feature" of this design would be
that the chassis would be returnable to raster with movement of a few plug
connections around and re-fitment of the original yoke.

If we had a dual wound yoke, It could be used in either raster or vector
mode. That would probably add $50 to the cost of the kit.

Other fact of interest: the new K7200 has a 23mm neck, and looks like a 90
degree tube, so if I have yokes wound for this tube, they won't be usable on
the old vector monitors.

COMMENTS REQUESTED

Thanks
James