RE: Sega G80 Test Fixture

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 16:53:02 EST

> 1) Cut away both sides of the G80 cage. This allows you to access the
> top or bottom of a given board while it is running. Unfortunately, not
> both at the same time.
>
> 2) Using a junk G80 board, solder wires to the edge pins and run the wires
> outside of the cage connected to a large edge connector (or two JAMMA
> connectors put together). So you plug in the junk board, and then plug
> the
> board you want to test into the external edge connector.

Yikes! Those are pretty drastic. I've done the following for when I was
doing a lot of G-80 stuff:

1) take a screwdriver to a G-80 card-cage and just remove the backplane
connector. Put that on your bench and hook-up a PC power supply. The
boards will stand up in the backplane without any problem.

2) Hunt around in surplus shops and find some old computer bus "card
extenders". They're usually too wide, but as long as they're deep enough
you can just cut them down to size and slide them into a G-80 cage. Then
just plug the card you're working on into that. That's mostly handy for the
sound cards, IMHO.

I use the Sega Multigame as well since it unifies controls and gets rid of
the EPROM board. Then I just have an Asteroids/Star Trek conversion control
panel that I use for testing.

-Clay