Re: New Monitor: Power Supply Design

From: James Nelson <nelsonjjjj_at_didactics.com>
Date: Sat Nov 13 1999 - 07:30:33 EST

Ahem, I forgot to mention the fuses. If the rectifier fails shorted, it
won't take long to fail open or blow a fuse. In any case the circuit could
handle huge voltage swings with no problem. The output (display) would get
(literally) very ugly, but a fuse or two would generally blow before
that(due to the excessive current required to swing a cap full rail). If a
cap was conveniently missing or open at that point, well, there's always a
fire extinguisher around right? Just kidding. the bus could handle the
swings. A shorted cap will blow a fuse too.

At my real job, we deal with these problems all the time. You should see
how interesting this gets when your power supply is capable of delivering
200,000 volts at 100-200 amps intermittant!

Thanks
James