Re: "untested" PCBs...

From: Al Warner <batlzone_at_cyberenet.net>
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 18:12:27 EST

I'd like to put my reputation on the line here a sec. I've got a decent rating (48)
but I recently did a few sales that I'm not proud of. I got a large pile of boards
and sold them on eBay. Some of the regular readers of this list won some of them.
Anyway, during the second wave of checks showing up, my life went nuts, I took the
family to Disney World, I helped my company move the entire business 5 miles, it was
crazy. Needless to say, it took a while for some of the items to be shipped. The
level of service I gave was far below what it should have been and much less than I
will ever do again. Let's say that in this moment of weakness, someone left me bad
feedback. I'd say I deserved it. Now, I had 50+ people who said I was the best guy
in the world, but I had a bad time and I had someone who thought otherwise.
Situations change for some people and I think people know that. I kept up on the
e-mails so, people knew I was just having trouble. What I see in this particular
case is a trend where multiple boards are being sold, sometimes the same board to
different people. They are e-mailing each other because of the problems. How a guy
handles the situation should give you a clue. Multiple "Lost in the mails" , yeah
right. He's maximizing the auctions by selling them to the highest bidder on
multiple auctions. Let's say I have a Tempest board for sale (I don't so don't
ask). I start a 5 day auction for it today and in 3 days, I start another one for
the same board for another 5 days. Winner 1 pays $70 and Winner 2 pays $100. When
the checks arrive, which one do I cash, hmmmm. Looks like Winner 1's is getting lost
in the mail. Heck I'm a nice guy, I'll avoid mail fraud and give him his money back
until I can sort out the details. Now I'm a real nice guy, right? I didn't rip
anybody off and I gave a refund for products that someone else lost for me. So I
guess I'm more of a hero. The good feedback is on the way. Maybe I'm just being
cynical, but it smells bad to me.

Al "eBay awarner" Warner

PS - I've never sold the same thing twice, I did have two of the same board for sale
at one time, but neither were sold. I'm just applying a devious mind to the
situation. And I Ob Vectored the example pretty well too I think.

Tek wrote:

> I agree on these points. I can imagine people are reluctant to enter
> negative feedback, to prevent getting the same back.
>
> But there's a difference between NOT giving negative feedback and a HUGE
> list of EXELLENT, A+++, WOULD TRADE AGAIN, FAST SHIPMENT blablabla
> ect... That just don't add up to me...
>
> For example. If everybody is unhappy with, lets say, MR X, there might
> not be negative feedback, but there IS a lot of hoorays... How come?
>
> Cya !
>
> Andrew Wilson wrote:
>
> > People are *really* leery to give negative feedback. I don't think
> > people are worried about slander - I think it's that it's common to
> > have the recipient turn around and give you negative feedback right back, which
> > slams your own rating.
> >
> > Also, unless the seller just walks away from the deal with your
> > money, it's usually kind of a gray area. Did they rip you off, or are they
> > just guilty of bad packaging and bad luck with the P.O.? Especially if the
> > seller makes sympathetic noises or even tries to make good on the deal in some
> > way - it gets really tough to post negative feedback on them. Even in the case
> > posted here, I'd personally be hard pressed to post more than a neutral
> > feedback on them, pointing out the bad packaging and the fact that they have
> > claimed that the P.O. lost the packages for multiple buyers.
> >
> > It's kind of a catch-22. If you post negative feedback on a
> > seller, you pretty much kiss any chance of resolving the matter in a friendly
> > manner goodbye. And once you've resolved the matter, it becomes kinda spiteful
> > to post neg feedback, since you've ostensibly resolved the matter to your
> > mutual satisfaction. The most I generally can do in those cases is post a
> > neutral, like I said above.
> >
> > Drew

-=               Al Warner batlzone@cyberenet.net                    =-
-= Learn how to install a Cap Kit in your video game's monitor and   =-
-= see a whole lot more on my web page at:                           =-
-=               http://www.cyberenet.net/~batlzone                  =-